Saturday, June 03, 2006

Day 1 Flat 4 Tour: Osseo, WI

The ST3 still needed an oil change, I took the 954RR for the two day ride to Wisconsin, about 400 miles away. Since I just flew back from Alaska Wednesday on the red eye, arriving Thursday morning with barely any sleep, I still needed to get some rest this morning. I decided to get up a bit later and meet everyone in Dubuque, IA at the lunch spot, but my back tire needed air and I left even later then anticipated, I wasn't going to make Iowa for lunch, so I decided to stay on I-90 and meet up with the group in Lansing, IA. I still had plenty of time to get there.

The traffic was heavy on I-90 and there was construction through the toll areas, since they are converting them to open road tolling currently. At the last toll in Illinois, the traffic came to a halt and after about 30 minutes of stop and go traffic and not seeing any exits ahead, I decided to do some lane splitting. I got ahead a bit, but not much, it was another 15-20 minutes before I passed though the toll and was finally in Wisconsin.



162 just past 14

I took the exit for 60 and started to enjoy the sweepers right away, then took 14, stopping in Viroqua for a small lunch at the gas station. I lost a lot of time in traffic on I-90 so now I didn’t even think I was going to make Lansing, IA by 3PM either. I was just going to head to Osseo, WI.



Cool fish in Onalaska, WI on 35 on the Mississippi River



Mississippi River

14 was detoured ahead to 162, which was awesome, since 162 is a really great road, plenty of curves and wonderful pavement. I arrived at 35, The River Road, and kept going North, then I took 93 and finally 53 and arrived in Osseo. I was the first one here so I relaxed at a gas station with some iced tea, but after about 30 minutes there was still no one here. I decided to head down 53 and just ride around but within a few miles I passed up a bunch of bikes, so I turned around and headed back to Osseo.



Near Osseo, WI off 53





Bikes at the Super 8 in Osseo



Silver/Black 954RR #2



Silver/Black 954RR #3



Silver/Black 954RR #4

I can’t believe there were 4 Silver/Black 954’s here, how bizarre.

We hung out in the parking lot for a while, had dinner at the diner next door and then some people bought some fireworks next door and started shooting them. I was asleep by 11:30PM. Awesome weathertoday, upper 70’s and sunny, no wind.



Yummy Wisconsin micro-brew

No comments: